17 September 2008

Officially "Between Jobs"

Today was my last day at my job here in Las Vegas and I am not exaggerating when I tell you it was unlike any other. There were exactly 17 other things going on aside from it being my last day, and they affected everyone in the building. The day felt surreal from the moment my first alarm started singing this morning. Fourteen hours later, I can still shake my head.

I did my best to do my job today. And while there wasn't anything remarkable, I didn't screw anything up either. The second half of the day went by twice as fast as the first half. And yes, by the end, I was blubbering in the parking lot.

I have no regrets. This was really the best time to leave my Las Vegas job. I'll miss a lot of the people there, but I'm no louse when it comes to keeping in touch and I'll be in contact with them whether they like it or not. There's no time for being really sad. My doctor seems to think I have serious gall bladder issues.

I have had medical appointments all week. I believe in keeping all my ducks in order, and it just so happened I was due at the dentist and at the optometrist this week. On Monday, the aforementioned optometrist increased the prescription on my right eye. I've had a headache ever since. So I'm switching to my old contacts, and will be ordering more of those. My left eye continues to be "lazy," and I am considering (after a 23 year hiatus) getting a patch for my right eye. It's supposed to force me to use my left eye more. When I was younger I used to wait until my parents weren't looking and lift that stupid thing. I can't imagine why it didn't work.

On Tuesday, my oral hygienist praised my mouth and encouraged me to spend more time on my front gums. I like to go to the dentist immediately after the optometrist. It's good to hear praise after being told how crappy my eye is. Today I went to my general practitioner as a courtesy. I wanted to tell her surgery is on hold, because the surgeon did not have time to see me. My doctor did not take it well. She wants me on a table immediately.

She yelled about the surgeon, his schedule, and his staff. She left the room to call him, but guess what? He was in surgery. She put my number in her personal cell and said she was going to call another surgeon, and that the new surgeon might be able to meet me Thursday and remove the gall bladder Friday. She was adamant. I told her that would be all well and good. It's an outpatient procedure these days. In the meantime though, I asked her what I need to avoid in order to prevent any sort of rupture in the next month or so. You'll be glad to know I just have to stay away from beef, pork, fried foods, fatty foods, butter, eggs, and cheese. No, nothing delicious there.

I don't really plan to have surgery in the next two days. I have a dinner and girls' night planned and outpatient or not, surgery would probably hamper some of my planned activities. On the other hand, it would be great to check "gall bladder removal" off my to-do list. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Danie!

    Just catching up on your blog. How do I subscribe to this? I love reading everything your write.

    On another note.....I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. I can't believe you need it removed too. I had a gallbladder full of gallstones. It was so bad that whenever I ate something that was too fatty I would have terrible pains in my stomach. It even sent me to the emergency room once after I ate some Burger King. Have you had it removed yet? I don't know if you're doctor has told you this yet but you probably will have to stick to that same strict diet after the surgery. I mean I still cheat but I have to face the consequences every time. I hope you're doing well and loving SF. Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery. The great part is that you lose 10lbs right after the surgery.
    Talk to you soon